Constructing the scratchplate of Brian May's Red Special
This is a temporary list. I will create a more detailed description and include pictures when I have time.
1. Place the paper template onto your template wood.
2. Cut it out and refine using a file and sandpaper.
3. Test the inside is perfect by fitting it over a pickup.
4. Cut three pieces of plastic just larger than the template.
5. Using double-sided sticky tape, tape a piece of plastic to the bottom of the template. The side being shown on the guitar must be face down.
6. Setup a router using a router table. Use a bearing guided straight cutting bit.
7. Set the bearing to run on the template.
8. Using the router, go around the outside of the template.
9. To achieve this on the inside, simply drill a few holes in the middle so that the router bit can get in.
10. Using the router, go around the inside.
11. Change the router bit for either a bearing guided angled bit or a bearing guided curved bit.
12. Now set the correct height of the bit so that it takes off exactly what you need.
13. Now simply go around the outside of the template.
14. Remove the plastic from the template.
15. Use very fine sandpaper on the edges.
16. Use brasso to get a good shine.
NOTE: When using a router table you MUST go from RIGHT TO LEFT!