Designing the electronics of Brian May's Red Special
The following diagram illustrates the original and most popular circuit for the Red Special. There are alternatives which I will describe later on.
- There are three switches turning each pickup on/off independently.
- There are three switches switching the phase for each pickup independently.
- There are three pickups.
- It appears most people have the bridge pickup reverse wound.
- Some people have the middle pickup reverse wound.
- There is one volume control controlling the entire circuit.
- There is one tone control controlling the entire circuit.
- The strings must be earthed either by earthing the bridge or tremolo.
- The TriSonic pickup cases/chasis must be earthed.
Page updated: Wednesday, December 5th 2007, 8:57 pm