Designing the tremolo of Brian May's Red Special
- The knife-edge itself can be either hardened steel or stainless steel, but greatly depends on the material of the tremolo block.
- The tremolo block can be either mild-steel or stainless steel, but greatly depends on the material of the knife-edge.
- The knife-edge has to be 'harder' than the tremolo block.
- If the knife-edge is stainless steel then the tremolo block can simply be mild-steel.
- If the knife-edge is hardened steel then the tremolo block can be stainless steel.
- There are a few different ways in which to mount the tremolo unit (I will describe a few of them later).
- Preferably the bolts should have a hexagonal recess to be able to change the tension of the tremolo unit.
Page updated: Wednesday, December 5th 2007, 8:58 pm