Guild Pro '93 replica
19th March 2005
I firstly cut out the plan of the neck that I created during the design process, and used that as a template for creating "the template". I did this by lightly attaching the design to the template wood and drew around it.
I did the same for the body template and then removed both designs from the wood.
I then roughly cut-out the templates out using a jigsaw. Then rasped, planed, filed, and sanded them down to get a very accurate template.
Once I had got the template to an accurate level I sanded the mahogany and found the best piece of it for the neck. Using the template, I drew the neck on the mahogany and with great difficulty roughly cut it out. Remember, mahogany is very hardwood and can be difficult to use unless you have the correct tools.
23rd March 2005
I started construction on the bridge. I used an aluminium block with the dimensions of 12mm x 12mm x (long). Using this size block I needed to cut out each block length-wise, as the length of each block is 15mm.
Once I had each block I then filed the end ones to the correct shape and began to route out the 'centres'. But unfortunatly I ran out of time and had to leave it at that.
24th March 2005
Today I simply continued constructing the bridge. I finished routing out two of the sections by simply using a drill and a 4mm bit.
25th March 2005
Today me and my girlfriend's dad planned and routed out the channel for the truss rod.
We also routed the shape of the neck by using the template.
Next, I transferred the design of the side view of the neck onto the neck itself.
26th March 2005
Today I started marking out the fret positions on the fretboard. I clamp a metre ruler onto the fretboard and used a knife to make the mark for each fret.
Page updated: Wednesday, December 5th 2007, 8:52 pm